Hanaya also provides damping hinge solutions to meet the requirements of your application. Apart from the standard damping hinges that we carry, we also provide customized damping solutions with different damping torques, mounting configurations, and sizes. The most common question a lot of our customers ask is:
What Is the Difference Between a Friction Hinge and a Damping Hinge?
A friction hinge is a hinge that provides constant torque to hold a device in place through all angles of motion. Unless an external force is applied to move the device, the hinge will resist motion. An application we see it being used every day is a laptop.
A damping hinge is a hinge that slows motion but will not hold the device in any fixed position. When a damping hinge is attached to a weighted device, gravity will cause the device to rotate on its own until the entire system reaches a state of equilibrium. The purpose of a damping hinge is not to hold a device in place but to reduce the effects of motion in an oscillatory system, e.g., in the case of a door slamming, we want to reduce that effect so that it closes slowly.
Our Damping Hinge Technology Features
- Smooth feel and operation over the life of the damping hinge.
- Our damping hinges have been tested to exceed more than 100,000 cycles.
- Our damping hinges have negligible backlash for that high-quality feel.
- Asymmetrical damping configuration for applications requiring less damping in one direction than the other.
- Ability to perform in different environmental conditions such as temperature, humidity, or salt spray.
- Different materials and finishes available for cosmetics or corrosion requirements.
- All our damping hinges are RoHS-compliant.
Our expertise in this field allows us to provide you with a suitable solution for your application. We can provide prototyping at a very low cost and, most of the time, our samples are free so don’t hesitate to call us. We are committed to providing the best quality service to our customers.
For more information about our damping hinge solutions, please contact us at
1-888-5-HINGES (1-888-544-6437) or 1-904-285-7575